Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day 3 in NYC - RAIN!!!

I'll bet you didn't know that every time we go on vacation I have some kind of a mishap. The good news is that I've only fallen down and dropped my camera once during this trip so far! Better yet, my camera is still functioning and I didn't twist my ankle or break any bones. Yes, I hurt my pride, scraped and bruised my elbow, but it didn't slow me down...too much...

After he picked me up off the ground, Ron and I went to Rockefeller Center to see the progress on the Christmas tree there. Here is a photo of the the tree.
the scaffolding allows the workers to decorate the tree safely...great idea!

After that, we walked from 50th St. all the way up to 80th on the eastern edge of Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was coolish and sprinkling rain but it was worth it. Here are just a few things we saw...

by Pablo Picasso

also by Picasso

Chagall

jewelry as art!

Jackson Pollock
There were so many more beautiful works of art that I wasn't able to photograph. It was overwhelming! We just didn't have enough time there in the Museum. I think a person could spend a week in there to truly enjoy what the Met has to offer.

The worst part of going there was that as we left, it was raining. Not a downpour or a driving rain, just steady. We couldn't catch a cab to save our lives...we had no umbrella...but on we walked! All the way back down to 49th St. where we met up with Rob & Rita, jb & Causten for dinner. The twinkies were on their own tonight. We ate at Del Frisco's - great steak place! Delicious dinner.

After dinner, Ron and I took jb to see Godspell. This is a very special show for us because jb & I were in a local production of Godspell in 1985. Yes, I was pregnant with her at the time! As a true lover of musical theater, jb has known the music from this show for years but had never seen it live. It was absolutely wonderful! 

After the show, we trudged to the subway and took the train back to our hotel - got back there soaking wet. When we walked into the hotel lobby, we saw about 50 red umbrellas with the hotel logo on them hanging there waiting to be used. Where were they when we were heading out this morning?! Humpf!

Tomorrow, jb and Mandi get off from work early, we are to see the balloons being blown up for the parade, see Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and maybe do a little souvenir shopping. Any requests?

No comments: