Monday, October 12, 2015

Large and in Charge

Over the weekend, Ron took me to a shopping mall that we'd never been to before. I was excited because there was a JC Penney at Serramonte. The reason I like Penney's is because it's the only department store that carries the Liz Claiborne line. I love her clothes. Even better is the fact that Liz Claiborne manufactures garments in women's sizes. Bonus! Or so I thought.

Ron dropped me at the door and left to do a few errands so that I could shop at a leisurely pace. Around and around the store I went, looking for Liz. I found her in the Misses department. Then I found her in the Petites department. Another turn around the store...hmmmmmm. Ok, time to ask a clerk. "Excuse me, where is the Women's department?" "Oh, I'm sorry, Ma'am. We don't carry those sizes at this store." I'm sure my face showed disbelief...disappointment...embarrassment and shame. "But you have a Petites department and an entire section of 49'ers apparel..." She shrugged and said "I'm sorry."

On my way around the store, I had picked up some little t-shirts for my nephew and there was nothing left to do but pay for them. The young lady behind the counter was very nice and asked me if I found everything I needed. I had to be honest. "No, I didn't." I told her what happened. She asked if I would like to talk to the manager. I couldn't imagine that it would make any difference, but she called the manager while she rung up my purchase. The manager came over, so I had to repeat my story one more time further increasing my embarrassment. The manager apologized and explained that the JCP at Serramonte was one of the smaller stores and didn't have room for everything. She went on to say that there were several brand names that they didn't carry at that store. "Yes, but there is a Petites department, right?" And again, "I'm Sorry."

I take full responsibility for my size and I'm not writing this so that you will feel sorry for the fat lady. I just felt discriminated against. It was not a happy feeling. Needless to say, I will NOT be going back to JCP...unless I lose a considerable amount of weight. Until then, I will tell you that Ron and I prefer to think of ourselves as "fluffy."

No comments: