Friday, May 11, 2012

good night, wild things...


A dear friend that I never met died last Tuesday. We were on our way to work when Ron and I heard on the radio that Maurice Sendak had died from complications after a stroke. He was 83 years old. It surprised me how emotional I became at this news. It brought tears to my eyes. (I also reacted like this when Jim Henson passed away).

Mr. Sendak was responsible for writing and illustrating my favorite children's book of all time - Where the Wild Things Are. This book has been very important to me over time, but even more so during just the last five years. Max, the king of all wild things, has a naughtiness and an imagination that reminds me very much of another wild thing. I honestly can't tell you how many times I read this book to Viliamu but I will tell you that almost every time I read it, he would say, "Again!" and how could I refuse?! This book has been a real bond and an important point of reference for us. See?

 

After I found the Max doll, I photographed him in all kinds of adventures when we'd go on vacation, like this...


and this...


and this...

.

Once I took the pictures, I would post them on facebook so that Denise could show them to Viliamu while we were away from him. And of course, whenever we went on a trip together with Viliamu, Max got to come along. He really enjoyed Disneyland! 

We have had countless adventures with our Wild Thing many of which were inspired by Max. Maurice Sendak wrote and illustrated countless other stories, but I have to thank him for creating this story - one that so captured our imaginations and helped me to maintain a connection with Viliamu.

So, although I never met him, I will always think of Mr. Sendak as a real friend. I will miss him.

I wonder if Kermit's "dad" and Max' "dad" have met up on the other side...