Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend 2012

(I started this entry last Monday. It's taken me a while to finish this post, but here it finally is...)

Generally, I love 3 day weekends. I am usually able to sleep in a bit, get a few chores done and go see a movie or two. I did get some of that done but not as much as I would have liked. I wasted all day Sunday because I didn't feel well and spent the day in bed.

On Monday I decided to rise above it all and I did feel a bit better. Anyway, we started the day by going to a a burger place in Piedmont called Barney's Gourmet Hamburgers.
Fabulous French Fries
Delicious Hamburger
 It was a cool burger joint and the food was absolutely yummy. This is probably as close to a Yelp review as I will get - I give Barney's of Piedmont 2 thumbs up, 4 stars and my whole-hearted endorsement.

After lunch I had a little energy left so we decided to take in a movie at the Piedmont Theatre. It's the oldest operating movie theater in Oakland dating back to 1917. It's quite old fashioned but very charming. It's a little odd because it has been renovated recently hand there are modern leather seats inside the theater. The two things don't quite go together but the seats were comfy.


We went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Wonderful movie. The story is about several British older adults that have each come to a turning point in their lives and are compelled to leave England and move to India. They had been led to believe that they would be living in a luxurious retirement  community. Unfortunately they were misled and the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel for the Aging and Beautiful turns out to be an old building with no working telephones, missing doors and crumbling walls. Most of the new residents decide to make the best of their situation and take in the beauty that India has to offer. Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith are my two favorite British actresses - they are fantastic in this as they are in every movie they are in! Within this movie there is humor, sadness, a young love story and the bittersweet conclusion of a 40 year old quest. I loved this movie! Seek it out ~ go see it!

That was all I had energy for - so after the movie it was back home and back to bed. It was not exactly the weekend we had planned, but it was ok all things considered...Golden Gate Bridge and the USS Iowa on Saturday (please see previous post) and gourmet hamburgers and movies on Monday. I can't complain!