Sunday, May 27, 2012

USS Iowa

It's a big weekend for San Francisco. Today is the celebration for the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. The bridge will be closed for about an hour this evening for the fireworks display. Traffic will be crazy so we decided to enjoy the bridge and the city yesterday for another reason.

Ron and I had heard that the USS Iowa would be leaving SF Bay and would be passing under the Golden Gate sometime between 2 and 3 pm. So we headed west over the Bay Bridge through San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge and up to the Marin Headlands. Traffic was S-L-O-W and we were afraid we would miss everything. As we headed up the hill to find the perfect spot to watch the history sail out of the bay, we were overwhelmed by the number of cars and people that were there before us. "We'll never find a place to park!" We crept up the winding road up the hill trying to avoid the crazy cyclists that love to test themselves up that hill. We made it all the way up the hill without finding a spot to park the Beeson Bus (yes, we still have our great big van!). We turned and were starting to head back down the hill. I had started to resign myself to the idea that we wouldn't be able to park when I spotted someone getting ready to leave! I don't think the people leaving knew about the Iowa because they left and enabled us to park!!

We found a perfect place to sit and wait...and wait...and wait...

However, we were well rewarded. The battleship was being tugged out of the bay and it was slow going, but it was perfect for all the professional and amateur (me) photographers out there to capture the big event. It was a beautiful sunny day in the city. Ron served as my sun shield as I sat and prepped my camera. I will just show you what happened from then on...












  Beautiful day ~ amazing view ~ history in action ~ great day.